Rig Technician – Level 2
Rig Technicians operate oil and gas drilling rigs. The Rig Technician – Level 2 credential confirms the holder can also perform the tasks of a Rig Technician – Level 1 credential (See separate listing). A Rig Technician Level 2 is also known as a Derrickhand (Level 2).
Derrickhands are responsible for:
- Operating and maintaining drilling fluid systems and pumps during drilling
- Mixing fluid chemicals and additives as required by the program
- Handling sections of drill string assembly from a platform on the rig derrick during tripping operations
- Monitoring and recording mud flows and volumes and fluid properties (i.e. mud weight)
- Working under the direction of the Driller and assisting the Driller with crew supervision, ensuring the crew works safely and efficiently
- Participating in rig mobilization and de-mobilization (rig-up and tear-out)
Do I qualify?